Souper Bowl Week Continues …. Italian Wedding Soup !
Long Island has been blanketed with a fresh “dusting” of 15 inches or so of snow. I unlike most other Long Islanders absolutely love snow !!! I think it’s God’s way of saying shhhhh rest ! I love to cook on snow days as well as knit. On our last snow day I made a big huge batch of Italian Wedding soup. Here is the recipe from my kitchen to yours! Enjoy !
Italian wedding soup
• Olive oil for soup pot
• 1 medium onion finely diced
• a bit of kosher salt for the onions to taste
• 1 lb lean ground turkey
• 1 large egg
• ¾ cup maybe more bread crumbs
• 2 14 oz containers of turkey broth or chicken broth
• 1 10 oz container of fresh spinach
1) Grab your favorite soup pot out of your pan closet. Set on stovetop with your range set to medium heat
2) Dice onion to desired size ( I like my onions in my soup really really small) add to soup pot and sweat for 10 or so minutes. Onions should be translucent and not turn brown.
3) Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl mix together turkey, bread crumbs and egg. This mixture is a bit sticky but the consistency comes out great later. If you would like a stiffer meatball just add more breadcrumbs.
4) Add broth to onions, bring to a simmer and add meatballs. Cook without stirring for 5 minutes or until meatballs float. Add Israeli couscous at this time.
5) Let soup continue to cook for a couple minutes approx 7-10 minutes
6) Add spinach. It will look like a lot but will cook down fast.
7) Serve and enjoy ! Its delicious!