Souper Bowl Week Continues ! – Sassy Split Pea Soup
I never knew my hidden love for split pea soup until one day when we had an extra ham hock lying around after a family dinner so I said boldly I will take it home and make split pea soup….I had just been to Vermont visiting family and picked up some split peas from Dakin Farms and was excited to see what could happen.
I went home and did my meta recipe search again (as any good PT would do when picking out treatment techniques). Here is the recipe I came up with …. Enjoy!
* 1 lb of split peas- picked over for shells etc
* 2 quarts of chicken stock
*1- ham steak or ham hock with extra meat (ham steak should be 7-8 oz in weight and chopped/diced finely or to your own liking
* 2 stalks of celery- chopped finely
* 2 Carrots- chopped finely
* 1/2 of a large onion
* 1-2 tbsp of canola oil
* salt and pepper to taste
1) Chop and finely dice all of the above ingredients
2) Heat your soup pot to medium heat and add finely chopped vegetables and sweat them for 5-6 minutes until onions and celery are translucent, (Add some salt and pepper at this stage to help add to the depth of flavor)
3) Add ham and continue cooking until heated through
4) Add chicken broth and split peas. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 1 hour to and 1 hour and a half
5) Ladle into soup bowl and enjoy with some hot crusty bread.