Sock Lollipop- Fun Valentine Day gift and craft!
In a search for something new and different to make for Valentine’s day, I thought of what food item could be mimicked in a crafty way. My thoughts were drawn to lollipops and cupcakes. Do you remember those huge lollipops on the wooden sticks that you used to get as a kid if you were lucky? I sure do. They were “old fashioned” lollipops and on Long Island you could find them on many of your field trips to the local historical places. Two distinct times I remember them was at Old Bethpage Village Restoration at Long Island Fair time. Everything was dressed for the period and when you went to the candy maker there were the very colorful lollipops just asking to be purchased. Also at Teddy Roosevelt’s house on Sagamore Hill, they sold them at the gift shop but those looked more like unicorn horns.
When I stopped at my local Joann’s craft store with my daughter I saw an awesome stock of fun Valentine’s day socks. What fun I thought to myself my sister in laws would love these socks !!!! I bought them and went to work creating. I made the socks into lollipops and packaged them just right for a perfect Valentine’s day gift and you too can make them!
How to make sock pops!
• Pair of really cool socks
• Clear pony tail holders
• Ribbon for a bow
• Clear cellophane for packaging
• Very sturdy lollipop stick or cookie pop stick
• Pin or two to secure the swirl
1) Find a really colorful and comfortable pair of socks
2) Get the invisible pony tail holders ( the really small ones)
3) Fold the heel of the sock so that it is flush to the body of the sock. Roll them length wise so that you are left with a long tube
4) Place 4 ponytail rubberbands at approximately 2 in intervals on the sock to secure the roll
5) Take the tube and roll into a swirl pattern.
6) You may need to secure the swirl with a quilting pin to hold the shape of the pop.
7) Take a sturdy lollipop stick and insert it through from bottom to top through the rolls
8) Place a valentines day candy of choice in the center to hide the pop
9) Wrap in clear cellophane and secure with a pony tail holder
10) Tie a bow at the bottom of the cellophane
11) Give to your favorite valentine !